What is it?
The Shopping Campaign Builder is a tool that lets you create campaigns with multiple levels of product partitions through a single click. You can create hundreds of ad groups with thousands of product groups in your account's active campaigns, in just a few minutes.
Why should you use it?
- Save Time. Creating a detailed campaign structure with thousands of product groups can take hours and in some cases even days. The time spent is directly proportional to the size of the product feed and the level of detail you want to use to create the product groups.
- Avoid Error. When you create product groups in Google Ads, everything has to be set up manually which increases the margin of human error.
- Gain More Control. Given the manual nature of this exercise, users tend to create fewer product partitions which limit the level at which you can control the bids.
How does it work?
The Shopping Campaign Builder pulls the data from the Google Shopping feed/product feed and then lets you define a structure for the product groups without having to create each product group manually. It uses your feed design to create product groups automatically.
Things to keep in mind
- The Shopping Campaign Builder doesn't create campaigns. The shopping campaign will need to exist in the Google Ads account in either a paused or active state. It can be a shell campaign with no structure. You should be able to select it from the campaign selector on the left.
- You can have multiple product feeds associated with different campaigns in a Google Ads account. The system automatically associates the correct product feed with the campaign when you design the split.
- For very large feeds we don't recommend creating tens of thousands of ad groups unless you want to manage negatives at a very granular level. Bids can be administered at the product group level, so you don't need an ad group for each item id.
How does the tool modify existing campaigns?
The Shopping Campaign Builder creates a new ad group in an existing campaign of your choice, and the product group structure you choose is implemented in this new ad group. The tool doesn't make any change to the current product groups in the campaign.
If you want to change bids for existing product groups, you can use the Shopping Bidder.
How can I create new ad groups without overriding the current campaign structure?
In order to use the Campaign Builder to create new ad groups without overwriting the existing ones, you will need to use the same split and prefix for the ad groups name. This will ensure that the system won't override an ad group if one with the same name already exists.
It's important to note that the Shopping Campaign Builder no longer supports the use of “-“ in the ad group naming, as it is used as a separator between the ad group prefix, and ad group name.