On this page:
What it is?
The Display Placements Exclusion tools is an optimization that allows you to pause the low-performing placements on the Google Display Network that are resulting in wasted spend.
Why should you use it?
With the Display Placements Exclusion optimization, you can find placements that are resulting in wasted spend and exclude them based on a business goal – Branding, Traffic or Conversions. You can also aggregate data for the same domain across campaigns.
What does it do?
The optimization excludes placements based on your campaign business goal. Each goal has different analyzed metrics:
- Branding: cost/impressions.
- Conversions: cost/conversions.
- Traffic: cost/click.
The suggestions shown are based on the selected metrics median. For example, if your campaign goal is Conversions, all the placements that are above the Cost per Conversion median will be on the list. The period used to suggest recommendations for the Display Placement Exclusion optimization is based on the last 30 days of data, but it can be changed.
How does it work?
Setting the Parameters
The metrics that the system is going to analyze depending on the goals you set for your campaigns. The goal you choose will take into consideration the parameters for each of the placements on which your ad appears.
For example, Cost per Conversion, if the goal in your campaign is Conversions.
- Traffic (Cost/Click) will show placements with Cost/Click significantly higher than the Median.
- Branding (Cost/Impression) will show placements with Cost/Impression considerably higher than the Median.
- Conversions (Cost/Conversion) will show placements with Cost/Conversion significantly higher than the Median.
The proposed placements will be compared according to the median of the selected metrics. If you want to get more suggestions, you can also choose between conservative or aggressive:
- Conservative: gives more time before suggesting the placements that are not performing well.
- Aggressive: gives less time before suggesting the placements that are not performing well.
Understanding the Results
The results will be shown by placements, breaking down the ones that have spent significantly more than the median.
The results are also broken down by each of the individual campaigns that the placement has appeared for, allowing you to make the decision, taking in consideration the individual campaigns too.
Once you selected the campaigns you want to exclude, you will be able to pause them