On this page:
- What is the Rule Engine
- Understanding its Structure
- How to set it up
- Prebuilt Strategies
- Next up: Creating Custom Strategies ↗️
What is the Rule Engine
The Rule Engine lets you create custom optimizations that can make bulk changes to your Google Ads and Bing Ads accounts. These can be strategies that can help you bid to a target CPA or, give you a list of keywords and ad groups that are more expensive than their peers. The suggestions can be reviewed and applied immediately, and the process can also be automated by running the strategies on a schedule.
Understanding its Structure
The Rule Engine has three levels that help you organize, construct and apply rules:
- Strategies - This is the highest level. Each strategy can contain multiple rules, and it is possible to run multiple rules in a sequence using a strategy. Each strategy is essentially a group of rules.
- Rules - This mid-level contains the rules. Each rule can contain multiple conditions and associated actions. All conditions in a rule need to be satisfied for actions to be applied.
- Conditions and Actions - This is the lowest level and the one where the configurations are set. Each set of conditions can have one or more actions associated with it.
How to set it up
In the Rule Engine, you can create a strategy focused on a goal, which works by defining that if X conditions are met, then Y actions are taken.
You can use our instant strategies (pre-built sets of rules) to get started or add your own custom strategy, with the option of copying the settings for a strategy from another account.
The Rule Engine has some previously created strategies which have already been configured for use. The strategy will depend on your chosen goal, whether its reducing cost, reporting on close variants, Target Roas, CPA or Position, search queries or even shopping campaigns.
You can find the complete list here.